ABOUT US !
In order to meet the academic requirements of the students of Hassan district, this college was started in 1946 as an intermediate college under the administration of the University of Mysore. Science and Arts options were offered in this college. The foundation stone for the college building was laid by the then Maharaja of Mysore, His Highness Jayachamaraja Wodeyar. The college was then named “Intermediate College, Hassan”. After completion of the building, it was inaugurated by the then chief minister of Mysore Sri B.D.Jathi.
During 1958-59, the college was upgraded to “Government First Grade College, Hassan “and three year degree courses were introduced in science, arts and commerce. In June 1960, the administration was taken over by the Government of Mysore.
By 1984, the student’s strength exceeded 2400. Keeping in mind the overall discipline, manageability of administration and the anticipated growth in science, arts and commerce disciplines, the college was bifurcated into Government Science College and Government Arts College. Since then, the Government Science College has grown incredibly. Due to the reputation earned in all these years, the college is attracting students from the entire district and from other districts too.